Desert adventure for tough Pretoria packs
- Chapter Rally
Strong minds create strong H.O.G. Pretoria riders – Skeleton Coast Rally 2019
H.O.G. Pretoria members departed in separate packs during May 2019, coming together for the Skeleton Coast Rally held in Swakopmund. Ever thought you would do 5 000km in one trip on your Harley? Well, they did!
Most made a holiday of it and toured through northern Botswana and Namibia before reaching Swakopmund on 23 May. On the way they survived potholes, roadworks, gravel and sand roads. But there were also amazing sightings of animals, even elephants crossing the road. Spirits were high all the way, with each pack choosing their own pace and riding style.
- Head Road Captain, Martin Smith, kept his pack safe with his discipline and constant motivation. What a job he had!
- Chapter Director, Bennie van Niekerk led his pack safely through the rough terrain. The entire trip was without incident.
- Charl Naudé, photographer, was part of yet another pack who safely completed the trip in a couple of days – they made an African safari adventure of the trip, camping in tents along the way.
The rally itself was one of the best ever experienced. From registration to meals to refreshments and music, all well organised. With over 500 bikes registered and close to 470 participating in the mass ride, it was a roar to be reckoned with. It took the pack more than 5 minutes to pass a certain point. Thank you H.O.G. Namibia!
Although each group made their own detours, the general route followed was:
- Pretoria to Francistown, Botswana (+- 700km, including a border post)
- Francistown to Kasane, Botswana (+- 500km)
- Kasane to Rainbow River Lodge, Caprivi, Namibia (+- 430km)
- Caprivi to Otjiwarongo, via Rundu (+-700km)
- Otjiwarongo to Windhoek (+-300km)
- Windhoek to Swakopmund (+- 370km)
Return journey started Sunday morning, 26 May:
- Swakopmund to Gobabis, Botswana
- Gobabis to Kang, Botswana
- Kang to Pretoria
Welcome back all you brave souls! You faced what is considered to be the world's toughest desert and survived to tell the tale!